Hobbit / War of the Ring

Games Workshops skirmish battle sytem set in JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth
Auticus

Hobbit / War of the Ring

Postby Auticus » Fri May 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Picked up Hobbit to extend my Lord of the Rings collection. One thing has always been lack of players. Hows the interest in LOTR / Hobbit gaming out in these parts?

Warpwolf

Re: Hobbit / War of the Ring

Postby Warpwolf » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm

The problem for me in this game is the same.... Never could find enough interest in it....

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat May 18, 2013 12:48 pm

I've got tons of it, as does Frank Williams who normally games at PSC.

Always liked the rules LotR game, I but did not like "War of the Ring" for big battles.

I'm toying with the idea of using some of the player mod SAGA boards to play SAGA using my LotR figure collection. Would like to get some use out of them somehow anyway!

Auticus

Postby Auticus » Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm working on my own system which is 28mm using pieces I like from hail caesar, warhammer, and LOTR. I think the systems are pretty tight in some ways but fail in others but overall if you could knit them together somehow...

What systems do you like for really big battles? I haven't played in a really big battle in many years... most people seem to like skirmish small model count games best so its hard to get a big game rolling (time commitment mainly, if the game takes longer than say 1-2 hours then people move to something else)

What systems are out there that can do big scale battles?

TDD

Postby TDD » Sun May 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Auticus wrote:I'm working on my own system which is 28mm using pieces I like from hail caesar, warhammer, and LOTR. I think the systems are pretty tight in some ways but fail in others but overall if you could knit them together somehow...

What systems do you like for really big battles? I haven't played in a really big battle in many years... most people seem to like skirmish small model count games best so its hard to get a big game rolling (time commitment mainly, if the game takes longer than say 1-2 hours then people move to something else)

What systems are out there that can do big scale battles?

On WoTR, Keith has a ton and I mean a TON of Urukai (spelling), I have an elf collection and I think that Roger Dospil has some collection as well, not sure what though.

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 am

I really like the WotR slotted trays as the allow the ability to use the same figs for skirmish of "ranked" fights.

I might suggest that using those trays and a modified version of Hail Ceaser you could get a lot done. Just refer back to the orginal Warmaster game for ideas on monster and magic.

Tom

Auticus

Postby Auticus » Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Definitely involves using that idea for the trays, only i'm using a tray = 10 guys (5 by 2) instead of 8 (4 by 2).

Return to “Lord of the Rings/War of the Rings”